
Izzy was born into the perfect setup with a clever older sister who came before to blaze the trail and teach her important life lessons.
Unfortunately letters and numbers aren't the only thing Emily is learning in Kindergarten. A couple weeks ago I overhead Emily talking and it sounded like she said "Damn." When I asked her what she said she looked at me and said, "Uh, ram?" To which I replied, "Well it sounded like you said damn." "Is that a bad word?" I told her yes and she wanted to know why. Good question!
I told her it isn't good to say and started to say, "Unless your talking about . . . well, nevermind . . ."
That didn't fly. "Unless what mom?" she persisted.
"Well unless your talking about a structure used to hold up water."
"Oh, like a beaver builds?"
"Exactly Em."
Fast forward to a few days ago when I was working on my computer that kept freezing up. Emily working nearby looked up and could sense my frustration when she said, "Damn like a beaver builds, huh mom?"
When she puts it in that context how can I wash her mouth out?
I wish she got her cleverness from me. The only thing I was clever enough to come up with was to get my younger sister to say the bad words so she was the one who got her mouth washed out. I will never forget the bar of soap by the bathroom sink with the bite taken out of it. That is something Izzy may never have to experience thanks to her older sister.
Unfortunately letters and numbers aren't the only thing Emily is learning in Kindergarten. A couple weeks ago I overhead Emily talking and it sounded like she said "Damn." When I asked her what she said she looked at me and said, "Uh, ram?" To which I replied, "Well it sounded like you said damn." "Is that a bad word?" I told her yes and she wanted to know why. Good question!
I told her it isn't good to say and started to say, "Unless your talking about . . . well, nevermind . . ."
That didn't fly. "Unless what mom?" she persisted.
"Well unless your talking about a structure used to hold up water."
"Oh, like a beaver builds?"
"Exactly Em."
Fast forward to a few days ago when I was working on my computer that kept freezing up. Emily working nearby looked up and could sense my frustration when she said, "Damn like a beaver builds, huh mom?"
When she puts it in that context how can I wash her mouth out?
I wish she got her cleverness from me. The only thing I was clever enough to come up with was to get my younger sister to say the bad words so she was the one who got her mouth washed out. I will never forget the bar of soap by the bathroom sink with the bite taken out of it. That is something Izzy may never have to experience thanks to her older sister.
Comments