Skip to main content

"The Retainer"

For the past several months, I have heard endless complaints from Aaron about his teeth hurting and throbbing headaches. Now I'd like to think I learned a little something in the three years I spent as a dental assistant (the sad thing is it probably doesn't even take this experience to figure it out), so I told him his problems probably stem from grinding his teeth at night and I suggested a good solution might be to wear a nightguard. I don't know if any of his stress at night has been caused by me, maybe in particular the night I accidentally grabbed him by the throat after he woke me up by yelling at the intruder in his dream to "get the hell off our property!" while a second intruder came up from behind him just as I grabbed him. Other than that I doubt I cause him much stress : ).

Anyway he'd finally had it after a particularly brutal headache one day and instead of climbing in bed with me, he headed downstairs to search through his childhood and adolescent memorabilia. I wondered how he could possibly find anything in his unorganized clutter and was quite surprised when he returned to bed with his junior high retainer. I thought it a little weird that he held onto it since 7th grade, but the miraculous thing was that with a few minor tweaks it actually still fits. Now this is no ordinary retainer! I'm still trying to figure out what his orthodontist was thinking when he told him to wear it 24 hours a day because with the retainer in his teeth are about an inch apart and talking with it in makes him sound like he frequently rides the short bus. Not to mention the fact that it says, "I Love Sports!"

The awesome thing is that since wearing it his teeth no longer hurt and his headaches have subsided, but "the retainer" has put quite a dent in our nightly conversations as they go something like this:
(keep in mind that every time Aaron starts to talk, he has to take out his retainer)

Aaron: I am putting my retainer in and I'm going to sleep now.

Anica(30 seconds later): What color hair do you think the baby will have?

Aaron: (After a big slurp and taking his retainer out) Blonde? Good night.

Anica(30 seconds later): What are you going to do around the house this weekend?

Aaron: Slurp, not sure, I will tell you tomorrow. Good night.

Anica(30 seconds later):Do you think we should plan a trip to California this spring?

Aaron: Uh-Huh.

Anica: When?

Aaron: Slurp, I don't know, maybe spring? Good night.
(1 minute later) is it safe for me to put my retainer back in or are we still talking?

This retainer has brought me great joy as I no longer have to hear his complaints and I now have something to make fun of him for. Thanks for saving it Aaron!

Comments

Diana said…
The story about choking him in the night is hilarious! And I love that his retainer says I love sports, thats not nerdy at all! Hope you guys had a great Christmas and New years!
LOL!!!! I am dying!! I seriously have tears in my eyes. Gentry
jen said…
We may have an old headgear around that Aaron is welcome to use! That is so funny!
Hah! I am dying too. That is hilarious! How are you guys? We need to get together soon! Do you have a free night?
{Amanda G} said…
Way too funny! Made us laugh and that is why we love your blog! Thanks Aaron for keeping that thing so long so we would smile today!! Thanks Anica for making sure it made it on the blog!!!
Em said…
Haha...that was hilarious. You know, I think there is just something about a person's old retainer. I still have my "turquoise glow in the dark with white hearts" retainer I had in 8th grade. Granted, I didn't have the gap in mine, so I could talk.
That story was classic, Anica. Thanks for making my day!
Carl and Starla said…
This made me laugh, thanks!
Mark and Juli said…
That was the best blog of the season and new year. Grade AA. I'm still laughing. Yes, you should come to So. Cal. soon. Wait til it gets warm. We would love you stay with us. Bring the retainer. I love sports too. Did Aaron really say "HELL"? Clean up the mouth before you come I don't want Marky hear you talk like that. Love you guys. Mark
hi how is your pregnency going. i bet your starting to show now. hope you had a good holladay.
whitney said…
Oh Aaron! That is classic!! We miss you guys!!! I bet Brandon could make him a retainer if that will help get you back here!!
emily said…
still laughing. can totally picture it. all i have to say is the boy has some patience!

wait.... what's that i hear????


NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT!

seriously? 'I love sports'???

i think he's even with brandon now for wearing a head gear to school in highschool!

funny he still has it... i always wanted one, so i kept my brother's old one around.... probably still have it. not that it ever fit or anything. but hey, i could say i "had" a retainer!

Popular posts from this blog

6 Week Flu

SYMPTONS: FREQUENT VOMITING, EXCESSIVE FATIGUE, NAUSEA, LACK OF MOTIVATION SIDE EFFECTS: HOUSE TURNS INTO A PIG PEN, FAMILY MEMBERS WEAR DIRTY UNDERWEAR FOR SEVERAL DAYS, MEMBERS OF YOUR FAMILY ARE ACCUSED OF HAVING EATING DISORDERS FROM MALNUTRITION, YOUR BED & COUCH HAVE A PERMANENT INDENT, AND THE CARPET FROM HERE TO THE BATHROOM HAVE A WELL WORN PATH, PEOPLE THINK YOU HAVE FALLEN OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH My friend recently told me there's a chance she "might" be pregnant. When I asked what might meant, she told me it could just be the flu. I laughed at her until I started experiencing the same symptoms. Even after a positive pregnancy test I worried that it might be all in my head. Thank heavens for a trip to the doctor, he confirmed that: WE ARE HAVING BABY NUMBER 2 !!!!!! I apologize to any of you who have asked recently when we are having more kids or why I am sick, and I didn't give you a straight answer . . . well now you know!

Meet Izzy

Isabel Marie DeHart made her debut into the world on Saturday April 18, 2009 at 6:08 pm She weighed 7 lbs. 14 oz. and was 20 in. long We are in love with her curly blond hair Aaron is in love with his new little girl. I hardly changed any diapers in the hospital and unless I was feeding her I had to fight him to hold her. He claims I got to hold her for the last 9 months, it's hardly the sa me. Our family of four I DID IT! I had set a goal for myself to deliver naturally with this baby (I had an epidural with em and don't get me wrong I loved it.) Aaron and I took classes to learn relaxation techniques and how the body works through the delivery process. We learned a lot. I had been having some serious labor pains for the past several weeks and thought because of this I probably wouldn't realize when it was time for the real thing. I had hair appointments scheduled all day Saturday and was doing my last one (thank heavens it was my mom) when my water broke. She stil...